Tuesday, September 24, 2013

My view from the Upper Deck...

Hey folks!
Sorry I've been away for a while (seems to happen a lot, huh?), my collecting strategy has changed a bit.
I wish I could do more pack busting, but it's way more rewarding for me to purchase singles for the time being.

With that said, here are two of my more recent eBay purchases:

2006 Ovation
I was really glad to see this pop up on eBay. 
The 3D texture is awesome, it's out of 99, and I'm always a fan of cards with BP jerseys.
I've posted before about how I hated to see Skip get traded. 
Don't get me wrong, he'd have gotten ZERO playing time this year, 
I just hated to see an 11-year member of the organization go. 
 
 
2007 Black
First off, let's have a moment to look at that patch on the bottom right. 
Heck, both of those bottom patches are sweet. 
That's how 2007 UD Black was.
There are only two Cardinals in that set, not I just need the Scott Rolen...
As a Cardinals fan, I feel there is a hierarchy of "patches". 
At the top is any part of the birds, followed by any part of the bat, then any "commemorative" patch, and finally any part of a number or name.
Chris was part of the 2006 WS team and played for a few more clubs before returning to St. Louis as a popular radio personality.

I know Upper Deck doesn't have a MLB license anymore, but cards like these make wish they did. 
With cards like this, I do not care that the autos are on stickers. Would you?
With cards like this, I am proud to have them in my collection. Wouldn't you be?
With cards like this, who cares that these guys do not play for the team anymore?
I know these are a very small sample of the products UD produced, but I've been feeling kinda "blah" with what Topps is offering (and often) these days. 
No, this isn't a Topps rant, I just haven't been overly impressed with the offerings this year. 
Well, except for Tribute: WBC. 
I guess I'm just weird that way. 

Thanks for stopping by!
Staying unabashed and interested,
-Ruffin

 

1 comment:

  1. Nice additions. I totally miss UD MLB cards too... especially UD Black. However one of the reasons I liked that product was their on-card autographs that utilized the silver sharpie on the black background... those cards were awesome.

    ReplyDelete