Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A time for reflection...

Tomorrow is my two-year wedding anniversary.
February 4, 2013 will be the seven-year anniversary of my first date with my wife.
Needless to say, these are days that I am thankful for the constant things in my life. But it was a gift my wife gave me for our anniversary that reminded me of how things can change.
The main thing I love about this the complete 2011 NLDS Game 5, a game I remember watching with my dad. I remembered that the birds had scored in the first inning, and that Chris Carpenter pitched a complete shutout game afterwards.
It was a double by Skip Schumaker that brought in that run, and he would leave the game after his second at-bat.
Skip was a player I always found myself rooting for, and I'm sorry to see him go. When I heard about the trade, I was reminded of this card:
When I first pulled this out of the pack, I was struck by how creepy the "gold finish" made Skip look. Almost like one of the motion cards of yore, but featuring Tyler Greene instead...
Now I see the card as poetic, in a sense. Both of these players have been traded, though I will miss Skip a bit more.
I feel the same way about Michael Young being traded. I don't know why, but I hate seeing a player who has spent many years with an organization get traded. Though, from what I understand, Schumaker and Young made it clear that they wanted to be traded.
I'm still on the lookout for a Schumaker auto, and I certainly will not complain if that Rally Squirrel SP ever falls into my lap!

Thanks for stopping by!
Stay unabashed. Stay interested.
-Ruffin

No comments:

Post a Comment